Joel H. Shapiro
Fariborz Maseeh Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751
B.S. (Engineering Science) Case Institute of Technology 1962
M.A. (Mathematics) University of Michigan 1964
Ph.D. (Mathematics) University of Michigan 1969
Queen’s University, Canada:
Research Associate 1969-70
Michigan State University:
Assistant Professor 1970-74
Portland State University:
Associate Professor 1974-79
Professor Emeritus 2006–
Adjunct Professor 2006–
University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1980-81
University of Provence (France), Winter 1984
University of Hawaii, Fall 1991, Fall 1995
University of Padua, Italy, Summer 1998
Universities of Rome & Florence, Summer 2001
University of Hawaii, 2001-02, 2004-05
Invited conference talks
- Introduction to Composition Operators: Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela; March 1991 (three lectures), University of Hawaii, June 1998 (ten lectures)
- Composition Operators and Analytic Function Theory: University of Padua, Italy, June 1998 (eight lectures)
- Numerical Ranges and Composition Operators: Univ. of Seville, Spain, June 2000 (three lectures)
- Dynamics of Linear Operators: University of Rome, June 2001 (five lectures), University of Florence, June 2001 (two lectures)
- Composition operators and Linear Dynamics: Chiangmai University, Thailand, May 2003 (three lectures)
- Topics on holomorphic spaces and composition operators: Kyoto University, Japan, December 2003 (three lectures)
- Topics in composition operators: University of Mons, Belgium, June–July 2004 (two lectures)
- Composition operators ♡ Toeplitz operators: II Winter School in Complex Analysis
and Operator Theory, Seville, Spain, February 2008 (four lectures)
- Recent results on composition operators, University of Lund, Sweden, October
2010 (two lectures).
Seminars and colloquia
- CBMS Conference: Banach Spaces of Analytic Functions and Absolutely Summing
Operators, Kent State University, July 1976
- Several Complex Variables Conference, Villefranche de Rouergue, France, Jan.
- Int’l Conf. on Banach Spaces and Classical Analysis, Kent State University, July,
- Wabash Functional Analysis Seminar (Purdue, Indiana, Illinois), April 1986
- Int.Conf. on Harmonic Measure & Potential Theory, U. of Toledo, Ohio, July
- Symposium on Complex and Functional Analysis, SUNY at Buffalo, Sept. 1986.
- Informal Functional Analysis Seminar, Kent State University, November 1986.
- Modern Analysis Conference, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, March 1987.
- Research Symposium on Complex Analysis, Imperial College, London, July 1987.
- AMS Research Conference on Operator Theory, Durham NH, July 1988
- Conference on Operators and Function Theory, Univ. of Arkansas, April 1989.
- Wabash Extramural Functional Analysis Conference, U. of Michigan, August
- Operator Theory Conference, University College, Cork, Ireland, May 1991.
- CBMS Conference: Geometric Analysis and Function Spaces, George Mason
University, Fairfax, VA 1992
- Operator Theory Conference, CIRM, Luminy, France, May 1993.
- Cotlar Anniversary Conference, Caracas, Venezuela, January 1994.
- AMS Research Conference on Bergman Spaces, Mt. Holyoke College, July 1994.
- Third Analysis Colloquium, Bern, Switzerland, August 1994.
- Old Dominion Operator Theory & Analysis Conference, Lexington VA, March 1995.
- International Conference on Banach Spaces, Kent State Univ., December 1996.
- Workshop on Operator Theory, Cefalu, Sicily, July 1997.
- Conference on Hypercyclic Operators, Kent State Univ., March 1998.
- Functional Analysis 2000, Univ. Polytechnica de Valencia, July 2000.
- Informal Functional Analysis Seminar, Kent State University, February 2003.
- Functional Analysis Workshop, University of Joensuu, Finland, June 2004.
- Journée d’Analyse Fonctionelle, University of Paris VI, June 2004.
- BMC 2006 (56th British Math. Colloquium), Univ. of Newcastle upon
Tyne, April 2006.
- Functional Analysis 2010, University of Valencia, June 2010.
- Analyse 2011, University of Lille, France, June 2011.
- IWOTA 2012, University of New South Wales, Australia, July 2012.
- CMFT 2013, Shantou University, China, June 2013.
Bowling Green State Univ., Brown Univ., Florida State Univ., Kent State Univ.,
Loyola Univ.–Chicago, Northwestern Univ., Oakland Univ., Oklahoma State
Univ., Purdue Univ., Portland State University, SUNY- Binghamton, Mississippi
State Univ., Univ. Autonoma–Madrid, Univ. of Bordeaux, Univ. of Paris-Orsay,
Univ. of Provence (Marseille), Univ. of Hawaii, Univ. of Illinois, Univ. of Iowa,
Univ. of Missouri, Univ. of Michigan, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Reed College, Univ.
of Seville, Univ. of South Carolina, Univ. of Tennessee, Univ. of Toledo, Univ. of
Toronto, Univ. of Virginia, Univ. of Washington, Univ. of Zurich, Virginia Tech,
Washington Univ.–St. Louis, Washington and Lee Univ., Wayne State Univ.
AMS Special Sessions (20 min. talks)
Spaces of Analytic Functions, St. Louis MO, Oct. 1972
- Classical Harmonic Analyis, Toronto, Canada, August 1982
- Banach Spaces of Analytic Functions, E. Lansing MI, Nov. 1982
- Approximation Theory, Evanston IL, November 1983
- Metric linear function spaces, Notre Dame IN, April, 1984
- Banach Spaces and Related Topics, Columbia MO, Nov. 1985
- Complex Analysis, Honolulu HI, March 1987
- Spaces of Analytic Functions, South Bend IN, March 1991
- Function Spaces and Function Algebras, Orono ME, August 1991
- Operator Theory in Function Spaces, San Antonio TX, Jan. 1993
- Holomorphic Spaces, San Francisco CA, January 1995
- Banach Spaces of Holomorphic Functions, San Antonio, TX, Jan. 1999
- Linear Spaces of Holomorphic Functions, Odense, Denmark, June 2000.
- Holomorphic Spaces, San Francisco, October 2000
- Operator Theory on Function Spaces, New Orleans, January 2001.
Barbara D. MacCluer, Ph.D 1983
Maria Tjani, Ph.D 1996
William Higdon, Ph.D 1997
John H. Clifford, Ph.D 1998
Luis Saldivia, Ph.D 2003
NSF 1972-75, 1978-83, 1985-1991, 1992-2000, 2001-2003
NSF 1990: Sci. Computing Research Equip. for Math Sci.
NSF 1985: CBMS conference, June 1985: New Constructions of Functions Holomorphic
in the Unit Ball of Cn: Main Speaker: Walter Rudin.